In the News
- Jan. 25, 2016: Check out Publisher’s Weekly’s review of The Last Fifth Grade!
- Jan. 11, 2016: The Last Fifth Grade of Emerson Elementary was selected as one of Book Riot’s Most Anticipated Books of 2016. Find the full list of recommended reads at Book Riot.
- Jan. 9, 2016: The Last Fifth Grade of Emerson Elementary selected by Random House Children’s Book for the Book Buzz at ALA Midwinter.
- Dec. 23, 2015: Atholton High School’s Raider Review covered Laura’s visit and workshop with creative writing students. Laura visited in her role as the HoCoPoLitSo writer-in-residence.
- Nov. 19, 2015: The Baltimore Sun – With chapter and verse, writer-in-residence helps students find their poetic voice by Janene Holzberg.
Around the Blogosphere
- Mar. 21, 2016: The Last Fifth Grade playlist featured by Fragments of Life’s “Celebrating Debutantes 2016” series.
- Jan. 22, 2016: Laura’s guest poetry preview from the ALA Midwinter Conference at Today’s Little Ditty.
- Nov. 13, 2015: Interview with author Jan Bowman
- Sep. 2, 2015: Interview with author Naomi Milliner
- July 8, 2015: The Last Fifth Grade of Emerson Elementary exclusive cover reveal at 100 Scope Notes
- March 19, 2015: List Poem Lesson, guest post at Today’s Little Ditty
- July 22, 2014: Pitch Wars Success Story
Interview with Laura and her mentor, Joy McCullough-Carranza.
- Aug. 14, 2013: “Poet Laura Shovan Ignites a Creative Summer School Spark in 4th and 5th Grade Writers”
Article at HoCoPoLitSo Blog
- 2011: Poem “The Listening of Plants” featured at Verse Daily
Laura Shovan is former editor for Little Patuxent Review and editor of two poetry anthologies. Her chapbook, Mountain, Log, Salt and Stone, won the inaugural Harriss Poetry Prize. Laura works with children as a poet-in-the-schools. The Last Fifth Grade of Emerson Elementary, her novel-in-verse for children, will be published in 2016 (Wendy Lamb Books/Random House).
Laura Shovan is former editor for the literary journal Little Patuxent Review. Her chapbook, Mountain, Log, Salt and Stone, won the inaugural Harriss Poetry Prize. Laura edited the Maryland Writers’ Association anthology Life in Me Like Grass on Fire: Love Poems and co-edited Voices Fly: An Anthology of Exercises and Poems from the Maryland State Arts Council Artists-in-Residence Program, for which she teaches. Laura is a Rita Dove Poetry Award finalist and won a Gettysburg Review Conference for Writers scholarship. The Last Fifth Grade of Emerson Elementary, her novel-in-verse for children, debuts in April 2016 (Wendy Lamb Books/Random House).
THE LAST FIFTH GRADE OF EMERSON ELEMENTARY Educator’s Guide is available as a free download from Random House Children’s Books. Find it here.
These photos may be downloaded. Attribution for each is “Photo credit: Karen Leigh Studios.”